This Merit-Based Scholarship offers exceptional opportunity for exceptional students.
Application for the 2023 Head of School Scholarship is will reopen in December 2022 for 2023 rising 9th graders.
The Head of School Scholarship Program is one of the most extraordinary programs in the country for high school students. Offering full tuition coverage and more, this scholarship's total value exceeds $80,000. Up to two scholarships can be awarded each year with a total of eight at any given time in the Maclay Upper School.
Who is Eligible?
Rising 9th-grade students (open to both currently Maclay 8th graders and 8th graders not currently enrolled.)
What makes a Head of School Scholar?
At Maclay School, we believe in nurturing unstoppable learners who are inspired to make an impact and determined to fulfill their potential and control their futures. This enduring belief is what sets Maclay School - and its students - apart. The Head of School Scholarship Program is one of the many ways our benefactors contribute to make a Maclay experience possible for those in our community. A Head of School Scholar is one of our top students who recognizes the opportunity and seizes it to become inspired, determined, and unstoppable.
Specific qualities sought in the Head of School Scholarship recipients include:
- Superior Academic Performance
- Previously demonstrated excellence in citizenship and character
- A history of involvement in activities within their school and community
- Demonstration of significant promise to contribute to the overall life at Maclay School, both inside and outside the classroom
What does the Head of School Scholarship Cover?
- Full tuition
- Activity Fees
- Books and Laptop
- Trip Fees
- Allowance for Summer Enrichment Experience in U.S. or abroad
What are the expectations of a Head of School Scholar?
All Head of School Scholar awards carry with them a responsibility to positively engage and support the culture and ongoing mission of the school. A Head of School Scholar should be an example inside and outside the classroom and is held to the highest standards and expectations. Scholarships are renewed annually based on meeting and exceeding the following criteria:
- Exceptional support and leadership in the culture and the mission of Maclay School
- Maintain > 4.2 GPA (weighted)
- Active participation in Maclay extra-curricular activities
- Membership in the Student Ambassador Program
- Participation in Scholar related events as a representative of the school
- Seek to participate and lead in multiple clubs and activities on campus
- Live above reproach related to the Maclay Honor Code
What is the Application Process for the Head of School Scholarship?
- Non-enrolled rising 8th graders must successfully complete the Maclay School Admission process to then be considered a finalists. Currently enrolled Maclay 8th graders must complete the Consideration Form.
- Applications and forms are reviewed through January. In February, semi-finalists are notified and requested to complete a short essay or video.
- Finalists are invited to an on-campus visit during Scholars Week in February to complete Academic Scholars Test and attend a faculty panel interview.
- Scholarship recipients are notified the beginning of March.
Maclay School admits students of any race, color, national, or ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded and made available to students at the school. Maclay does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin in administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletics and other school administered programs.