Access. Support. Guidance ... It's Your Future.
It's not about the name of the college ... it's about the finding the right fit for you.Our mission is to provide each student with timely and accurate counseling to navigate the college decision process. The most important part of this process is finding the right fit, which involves getting to know each student personally. This starts in our Freshman Academy and goes through your final decision as a senior.
Maclay College Counseling hosts over 50 colleges and university each fall that come to campus to meet with our students. It's a wonderful opportunity meet with representatives to learn about their school and ask questions in person.
For a calendar of Colleges coming to Maclay, check with your advisor.
By the spring semester of 8th grade, the Freshman Academy Director meets with students about planning, setting goals, researching colleges, exploring careers, and processing recommendation letters and transcripts.
The Freshman Academy is a unique signature program at Maclay to help 9th graders build strong study skills, stay organized, and transition to Upper School successfully.
10th grade is the year to begin taking courses in an academic concentration of your interest and explore our wide range of AP courses.
11th grade is a busy year filled with college representatives visiting our campus, exploring colleges and universities, and finding your inspiration.
Our college counselor-to-student ratio means students and their parents get the personal support and attention they need to be clear, confident and empowered throughout the entire college admission process.
“There is also a real chance that a student’s top-choice might change throughout the college search and admissions process. As a department, our job is to expose students to options they maybe hadn’t considered before but that fit what they are looking for.”
Lauren Furman, Assistant Director of College Counseling
Along the college selection journey, students and families will be exposed to various colleges and universities and have many opportunities to learn about the admissions process. Events include things like:
- Over 50 colleges and universities visiting our campus
- Parent Coffees – morning coffee with our college counseling staff
- Evening programs by colleges/university admissions offices like University of Notre Dame, University of Virginia, Vanderbilt University
- Financial Aid Information Night
- Study Hall Drop-Ins for students
- Admissions Panel for Parents
- Virtual programming from Princeton Review
"The process for college preparation is starting earlier and earlier. By taking the time to meet with students and families earlier, you can develop a better understanding of the families' goals/desires while navigating the ever-evolving world of college admissions." Shana McComb, College Counseling Advisor
- 95 seniors were accepted into 132 colleges and universities worldwide
- 39 different colleges in 14 of states
- 2 National Merit Finalists and 3 Commended Scholars
- Over $6 million in merit scholarship
- 56 seniors completed Academic Concentrations
- 12 seniors are attending honors programs
- 82% were accepted to a college of their top choice
- 94 % were accepted to their 1st or 2nd
- 12 will be student athletes at the next level
- 45% attending 4 year Florida public university
- 2 Gold Star
- 2 Eagle Scouts
- 21 Charter Members
- 9 Legacy Students
- Collected 17,789 in Service Hours
- We prepare students for a successful life after high school as they transition into college and career.
- There is more after high school – and we help students find that next step
- We want to help students build confidence
- There’s more than one college/university out there for everyone – there's at least 100 good fits! Let’s explore!
- College is so much about what you put into it! It’s about what you do when you get to the campus – keep your head up to see opportunities.