Maclay School is an independent, non-sectarian college preparatory school dedicated to providing a liberal arts education and enabling each student to develop their inherent ability to the fullest extent with a balance of discipline and freedom.
Our Philosophy Statement: The philosophy has been in existence since the beginning of the school in 1968. Maclay School supports its students in fulfilling their potential academically, emotionally, physically, and artistically. Its purpose is:
- to establish and maintain a curriculum designed to teach the liberal arts creatively.
- to create a civilized community of learning guided by a dedicated faculty of superior qualifications.
- to provide patient and understanding ways to challenge each student.
- to engender by teaching and example self-discipline, hard work, integrity, and persistence at school and home.to stimulate each student to inquire, learn, recognize obligations, develop self-respect, and understand others.
- to build a meaningful spirit among students, parents, faculty, and community by faithful fulfillment of the Maclay School Mission and Philosophy.
- to prepare well-balanced students able to meet the future challenges of higher education, service to others, and life, with wisdom and fortitude.
Our Core Values: The Honor Code
In 2000, a group of student leaders came up with the idea of creating an Honor Code for Maclay. After meeting with faculty and administration and researching Honor Codes from other schools and colleges, the Maclay Honor Code was instituted into the Upper School which students wrote at the end of each test declaring their work was honest and complete.
In 2015, a group of students and faculty revised the Honor Code to carry a more straightforward meaning that all students, K-12, could understand and follow. Each September, the traditional formal ceremony for Upper School students is held, and all new students and new teachers sign a roll book to indicate their participation in the Maclay Honor Code system. The Honor Code Book has become a part of Maclay's tradition and is displayed in our library for future generations to see.
Our Statement of Community
As a member of the Maclay School community, I will maintain my honor and integrity at all times by creating and upholding an atmosphere of trust, respect, kindness, and consideration for all members of the school and the wider community. All constituencies that make up our community - trustees, administrators, faculty, staff, students, parents, and alumni - should respect, support, defend, cooperate with, speak well of each other and Maclay School, and place the best interests of the institution first.