Over 3,000 Graduates - Change-Makers in the World.
50 Years of Maclay
Maclay School was founded in 1968 by a group of parents who wished to provide their children with educational resources that would enable each student to develop to the fullest- academically, morally, emotionally, and physically. The school was named in honor of Alfred Barmore Maclay, Jr., a World War II veteran who died of polio in 1953. His mother, Mrs. Alfred B. Maclay, Sr., was a benefactor and loyal friend of the school. Over the years, family members, Mr. and Mrs. John W. Mettler, generously donated the land upon which the school now sits. During Maclay's first year, a nine-member faculty taught grades 1-8. Each year following, one grade level was added until the first class graduated in 1972. Our Kindergarten opened in 1975, and Pre-K began in 1989. Today, Maclay has a student body of about 1,000 students and 100 faculty members. At the end of our 50th year in 2018, our 3,000th graduate walked across the commencement stage.
Traditions are a part of Maclay School's history and what makes our community special. Some are new, some are new and some are old, but they all celebrate the pride of being a Maclay Marauder.