Why Wednesday Early Release?
Over the last several years, Maclay School has increasingly dedicated time, focus, and resources to our Teacher Professional Development Program including tripling the budget for training, creating the Faculty Excellence Grant, the Teacher Academy, and new this year Professional Learning Communities. The third objective in the Strategic Plan outlines the goals of Cultivating Professional Excellence and emphasizes the need to strengthen faculty opportunities without sacrificing quality classroom instruction.
Every Wednesday, dismissal is at 2pm for all students so that faculty can participate in professional training. Such programs include Learning Communities, divisional meetings (by grade level), subject meetings (academic subjects across all divisions), guest speakers and workshops, and individual planning.
The core focus of our Teacher Professional Development Program is to:
- Develop Curriculum that benefits the whole student.
- Bridge the departments and services among the three divisions of Lower, Middle, and Upper School.
- Incorporate Service Learning into curriculum.
- Prepare a framework of Understanding by Design.
- Creating and evaluating standardization and benchmarks for our students, grades, and divisions.
- Incorporate an alignment of curriculum from Pre-K through 12th grade by linking courses, departments, and divisions.
- Allows for evaluation and assessment of data.
- Provide opportunities for our faculty to support, share, peer teach, and grow as individuals.
Here are some of the training and workshops our faculty attending during the summer of 2017
Stephanie McCann - UrbanPlan Teacher Training – Atlanta
Maggie Masferrer & Claudia Willis - AIM Foreign Language Teaching Institute - Toronto, Canada
Kim Daniel - Art Scouts 17 - Montgomery Bell State Park, TN
Chad McClellan & Matthew Cave - SACAC Summer Seminar - Furman University, Greenville, SC
Sean Gorman - AP Music Theory Institute - Tampa
Cindy Stockstill - AP French Institute - Williamsburg, VA
Kristin Kline - AP Environmental Science Institute - Tampa
Lisa Donaldson - AP Psychology Institute - Plantation
Joe Kupiszewski - AP Computer Science Institute - Houston, TX
Heather Bas & Angela Croston - Dean of Students Symposium - Atlanta
Lauren Fantle - Poland Trip for Holocaust Education
Center for Learning offered Advanced Multisensory Structured Literacy Workshop to teachers