CODE OF CONDUCT
MACLAY SCHOOL PARENTS
Interscholastic sports programs promote the physical, social, and emotional development of student-athletes and Maclay School annually strives for the FHSAA Sportsmanship Award. Therefore, parents should encourage student-athletes to embrace the values of good sportsmanship, and should model good sportsmanship by demonstrating fairness, respect and self control. For a child to participate in athletics at Maclay the child’s parents must obey this Code of Conduct. Parents must be responsible for their words and actions while attending a Maclay School athletic event, home or away, and obey this Code of Conduct. Parents must not engage in or encourage their child or anyone else to engage in:
1. Unsportsmanlike conduct with any coach, parent, participant, official, or other attendee;
2. Any behavior that would endanger the health, safety, or well being of any coach, parent, participant, official, or other attendee;
3. The use of profanity;
4. Treating any coach, parent, participant, official, or other attendee with disrespect based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation or ability;
5. Verbal or physical threats or abuse of any coach, parent, participant, official, or other attendee;
6. Initiating a fight or scuffle with any coach, parent, participant, official, or other attendee;
7. Coaching any player from the sidelines or stands during practice or competition, as this may be distracting to the individual and the team, and may directly conflict with the coach’s strategy;
8. Approaching a coach to discuss the coach’s strategy or the playing time of a player immediately before, during or after a game. Please wait until the next day to contact a coach.
Parents must address any concerns with the coach’s approach directly with the coach, in respectful manner at an appropriate time (never on the same day as a game). If the concerns are then not addressed to the Parents’ satisfaction, they may then contact the athletic director to schedule an appointment to discuss any concerns with the coach and athletic director.
Parents who violate this Code of Conduct while attending a Maclay School athletic event, home or away, will be subject to disciplinary action by authorized game or school officials, including but not limited to the following in any order or combination:
Verbal or written warning;
Suspension or immediate ejection from a sports event; and/or
Season suspension or multiple season suspension.